Wednesday, March 22, 2006

'Tis better to say something stupid than nothing ...

That's one thing I've learned though this. Remember that whole "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything"? B.S., at least in this situation.

I know that in the past, I've been guilty of worrying that I was going to say something dumbass to someone going through a rough time.

But you know what? Silence hurts far more than anything stupid you can say.

I've been lucky. All the people that I'm really close to have been next to me since the second we were called to go to the ER with Little Warrior. I am blessed; I am rich in my friends.

But I will admit, there have been a few that have surprised me -- friends who I would have predicted would at least be dropping an email. Total silence.

I'm sure it's the whole "I wouldn't know what to say." But you can say that. In fact, the best thing I heard was when she was first diagnosed and my good friend MouseFace called and said, "I don't what to say except that this really sucks."

She summed up my feelings exactly.

No comments: