Sunday, April 02, 2006

...and the details

Removed: 1 grapefruit size tumor from the right kidney, 1 orange size from the left. My daughter, the fruit basket.

Kept: 2/3 of her right kidney and between 1/2 - 2/3 of her left. This was more than we hoped for. They did the right side first, and when they came back and said they saved 2/3 of it, we cried with joy, knowing that even if they had to completely remove the left side, the 2/3 could be enough. When they came out 3 hours later and reported how much they saved on the left side, we were so jubilant. No level of happiness higher.

"... my cup runneth over ..."

She's in ICU right now, but doing great. Off the oxygen, draining nicely, kidneys working fine. We might be moved to the oncology floor today, I hope I hope I hope. (No beds/privacy/etc in ICU for the parents). We managed to get a Ronald McDonald room last night and let me tell you, it's amazing what a new person you are after 5 hours sleep and a shower.

We will have hurdles to climb ... namely, getting the full report after they completely analyze the tumors. But we are so, so, so happy right now.

Anne, ready to pass that juju on to you, luv.

LE

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear this news! I hope the doctors' report is good, too.

Anonymous said...

Hallelujah! So happy to hear the good news. Amazing what docs can do sometimes. Good luck with the remaining steps, but this is a great outcome. Keep sleeping and taking care of yourself on the journey ahead. You'll do better for her if you take care of yourself.

Happy, happy day.

Kelli said...

Oh I was just coming to tell you again that I was thinking of you..didnt expect an update and I am just so happy!! This is great great news.

*hugs hugs hugs* to you sweetie.

I am just so happy about this.