Friday, November 03, 2006

Holy Secret Identity, Batman!

Chutney has me thinking about blogging anonymously, which I do. Well, somewhat anonymously. I've been involved in our denomination and in my district, and we're a pretty small pond. Thankfully, there are not too many UU theology students who have a baby daughter diagnosed with cancer.

My reason for anon-bloggin is slightly different than most folks. I wanted to be utterly, nauseatingly honest with the journey I'm on, especially after LW was diagnosed. I couldn't find any blogs written by the parent of a cancer-kid, other than ones created to keep their families in the loop of how treatment was going.

So, I picked up my old theology blog and took it in a different direction. Many times, my blog is mostly a diary that just so happens to be made public. That's why I don't respond to all the comments. I love the comments, though. They're read and reflected on.

But back to honesty and anonymity. I know myself, and I knew that if I blogged with my name, or knew that people I knew were reading it, it would affect what I wrote. Rather than writing that I feel lost and alone, I'd be writing about how much I appreciate the bundt cake that Aunt Marjorie sent me.

Like I wrote above, it wouldn't be difficult to figure out my identity. But if anyone who knows me "in real life" has found my blog, they have been very kind and not let me know.

I appreciate that.

1 comment:

Chalicechick said...

Also, it makes all the sense in the world for a parent who blogs about their kid to do so anonymously to protect the kid's privacy.

CC