Thursday, November 09, 2006

But still, he sings

I've felt insecure about my voice ever since I was a kid. I LOVE music and love to sing but like many folks, I worry that my voice isn't perfect. Egad, I might hit a wrong note!

I always thought it patently unfair that I wasn't gifted with a beautiful singing voice. Someone who loves music as much as I do, who writes music, shouldn't be saddled with a small note range! Lovely, dulcet tones should ring from my mouth, like Sleeping Beauty singing to the forest animals.

Forget perfect voice. I have something better. I love music and it's part of a full life for me.

Three cases in point:

* I saw Barbra Streisand, in an interview with Ellen Degeneres, say that she doesn't like to sing. Not only that, she doesn't like to listen to music!

* Barry Manilow loves music, but apparently, nothing else. He said in an interview (forgive me, I can't remember who with -- Oprah?) -- that he doesn't like to eat. Not that he tries to diet, or doesn't like certain foods ... he doesn't like the act of eating. Period.

* I just saw Beverly Sills on The View. She said she hasn't sung since she was in her 50s, when her voice was still awesome. Doesn't even sing in the shower. Because, she says, she wants to remember her voice as it was.

Oh. My. God. This is so sad to me. And boy, does it present a different view for me. Would I give up my love and enjoyment of music to have a great voice? No way, Josefina.

My hero is Pete Seeger. For many reasons. I grew up listening to his music, following his good works. Was crushed that I couldn't see him at GA, but LW was less than a month old.

Pete Seeger has grown older, and as he will share, his voice has grown weaker.

But still, he sings.

Me, too.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I saw Barbra on Ellen that day, and I think my mouth was hanging open the entire interview. Industrial strength weird. There are a lot of celebrities I am itching to meet, but she is not on the list! Especially if I have to follow a list of rules in her home. Isn't music usually about pure JOY or PASSION? Sad!

The strange birth defect my son has may help make him into a great concert pianist. All I know for sure right now is that music gives us both so much joy, and time will tell if he uses it to fit into the world and make others smile. For the time being, we'll dance our booties off and I'll sing (in the privacy of our home).