Friday, April 25, 2008

How to Kill Your Daddy

Okay, so you've had major surgery, you feel like a truck ran over you, people keep coming in and messing with you, you're in and out of consciousness, you keep throwing up, and you're only two years old!

So then, more people come in to take a chest Xray, which means you have to lie flat and be moved this way and that and it all really, really sucks ...

And then, because Mom has been assuring you that they're just going to take a picture of your chest, "no owies" -- when you hear the machine snap, you do what you always do when someone takes your picture. You smile.

(A really pitiful in all its bravery smile.)

And your dad has a look on his face that betrays that what he really, really wants to do is go crawl under the sink and bawl. Because he's strong and steadfast, but the no-fail kryptonite is your smile.

But he doesn't. He just smiles back at you and tucks your covers in.

9 comments:

Lilylou said...

What an amazing little girl she is. And what amazing parents you are.

plaidshoes said...

Just reading this is breaking my heart. I can not imagine watching my child go through this. I am sending lots of prayers your way.

Stephanie said...

It's killing your readers too. Thoughts and prayers with you.

Anonymous said...

"you smile" oh my. Tears flowing down my cheeks, I smile with her, her dad, and you.

Earthbound Spirit said...

Continuing to hold all of you in the light - especially LW. (I'm amazed you can write through this. I'd be a puddle on the floor - wait, I AM a puddle on the floor...)

Unknown said...

Thoughts full of love and energy for you all.

Terri said...

Thoughts and prayers still with you and your brave little one.

Christine Robinson said...

Holding you all close in the circle of my heart...Christine

Chalicechick said...

*Sniffle*

CC
not known for sniffling