Friday, April 04, 2008

Continuing the Discussion ...

I'm excited.

I'm in communication with someone at a predominantly African-American church near our church about having a "deep listening" group made up of members of both churches, focused on racial dialogue. "A More Perfect Union - the Continuing Discussion." She seems enthused, too.

Maybe there will be more than one group. (Definitely want to keep it small groups.) I can dream!

And I'm really excited about using the deep listening format for this, since in deep listening, there's no interruption, no arguing -- you speak from your own experience, rather than directly addressing another person's remarks. The focus is on the listening, not on "teaching" someone else.

But I would be surprised if there were not some profound learning.

No comments: