Monday, May 28, 2007

Church -- Round Ligament Pain!

I knew this felt familiar! After four pregnancies, you would have thought I'd have recognized it sooner.

"The round ligaments surround your uterus in your pelvis. As your uterus grows during pregnancy, the ligaments stretch and thicken to accommodate and support it. These changes can occasionally cause pain on one or both sides of your abdomen."

Our church is experiencing round ligament pain. Growing pains.

All those years of going to UU conferences and such are coming back to me. What do they always say ... "transitioning from one size church to another will cause growing pains."

Oy.

5 comments:

Jamie Goodwin said...

OMG! I love that term, Round Ligament Pain...

I am going to have to mention this to the new Interim when she gets here!

Earthbound Spirit said...

Yup. I imagine the real pain comes when one side stretches faster than the other, or something like that...

My own home congregation is there, doing that, too. Remembering "this too shall pass" helps.

Nancy said...

The one thing I remember about round ligament pain is to move slowly during any sort of transition! Too many times I jumped up, forgetting I was pregnant, and ended up doubled over in pain!

Growing pains are a happy ailment. Just move slowly and deliberately!

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of something Anne Lamott wrote about in, I think it was Plan B: Thoughts on Faith. I could be wrong, though. But I remember she wrote about how a religious leader told her that when everything seems to be breaking or going wrong at the exact same moment, it means that something beautiful is trying to be born. There have been times in my personal life when I have held on to this idea as if it were a liferaft. I'll try to forward that grace to my church community, too. Maybe.

Lizard Eater said...

Thank you, UUMomma! I've copied that and sent it to several friends. Just what I needed.