Monday, May 14, 2007

Absolutely No Snark

Just joy.

CLEAR SCANS.

An extra heaping spoonful of gratitude this time ... on Friday, they did her chest CT, then her abdominal MRI ... then the radiologist requested that they do her CT again, changing her position. He thought he might see something. (Wilms' usually recurs in the lungs.)

Clear, clear, clear.

We got this via phone. LW was supposed to go in to the oncologist today, but she is running both a fever and a nose, and you don't want those around the kids who are still fighting cancer. But her onc very sweetly called me himself to go over the report.

In other news ... she had her church dedication yesterday. Since we are currently without minister, I asked three of her "goddess-mothers" to perform the ceremony. It was beautiful, and they did it well, albeit through choked-up voices.

A few tears in the congregation, too. And then I had to get up and preach a Mothers' Day sermon. Actually, it was easy. My sermon was on the sorority of motherhood. And how you don't have to be a 'mother' to be in it. If you choose to make a difference in the life of a child, you're in.

And "mother-pie." I read about this when I was a teen, in one of those usually forgettable teen paperbacks. I know the heroine was named "Honey," but I've never been able to find the book.

Anyway, the concept is this: we all have a "mother-pie" made up of all those people who mother us. Your best friend's mother, who hugs you and feeds you cake. Your strict disciplinarian mom. Your aunt, who teaches you how to put on makeup. Even your father can be a part of your "mother-pie." And you, you can be a part of someone else's mother-pie.

Mmmm, pie.

6 comments:

Nancy said...

That is GOOD NEWS. I have been thinking about you all morning and hoped you would post an update. Thank you!

I like the sisterhood concept. I know I wanted to be a mother years before I was able to become one and Mother's Day was a very hard day for me. It's much happier now, of course.

Erik says, "Happy day to you."

Kaleigh said...

Wonderful news! I am so happy to hear!

I went on a more activist thread with my Mother's Day sermon, but hit on the sisterhood a little bit too.

Lilylou said...

I am thrilled to hear the news about LW! Thanks for posting it so quickly.

Anonymous said...

Tears, tears, tears of relief. So happy for you all.

Berrysmom said...

Hallelujah! So glad to hear the news. No place for snark here, just joy and gratitude.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm so glad to read the good news. And you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.