It is hard to lose any weight when you have two birthday cakes each on four birthdays spread through May - June. For The Husband's and my birthday, he had peach cobbler and I had a sacher torte.
Anyway, today was The Princess's 7th birthday. 7 years ago today, my mother, The Husband and my always-will-be-childless-by-choice sister saw her born ... two hours after I arrived at the hospital, had my waters broken by some strange doctor, and then was informed, "Oh, we don't have any anesthesiologists in the hospital right now."
So, I can say that I have had natural childbirth. However, since I had to have it while strapped flat on my back (all the pain, none of the work-arounds, like walking), I can say that epidurals are marvelous things and I enjoyed them mightily on my next two births.
Can I get one now? No? Well, a caipirinha will work.
Made a "from scratch" cake, and it happens to be the same one my mom used to make for my brother, BigShot, every year.
Chocolatetown Special Cake
* 1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa or HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
* 1/2 cup boiling water
* 2/3 cup shortening
* 1-3/4 cups sugar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 2 eggs
* 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1-1/3 cups buttermilk or sour milk*
* ONE-BOWL BUTTERCREAM FROSTING(recipe follows)
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
2. Stir together cocoa and water in small bowl until smooth. Beat shortening, sugar and vanilla in large bowl until fluffy. Add eggs; beat well. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; add to shortening mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating until well blended. Add cocoa mixture; beat well. Pour batter into prepared pans.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with ONE-BOWL BUTTERCREAM FROSTING. 8 to 10 servings.
* To Sour Milk: Use 4 teaspoons white vinegar plus milk to equal 1-1/3 cups.
ONE-BOWL BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
2-2/3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa or HERSHEY'S Dutch Processed Cocoa
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Beat butter in small bowl. Add powdered sugar and cocoa alternately with milk; beat to spreading consistency (additional milk may be needed). Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.
DOUBLE THE RECIPE FOR THE FROSTING. Who are they kidding.