Saturday, February 28, 2009

Right Relationship

Okay, so let me tell you about something happening at ICUUW that I think is fabulous -- a Right Relationship Team.

I don't know if this has been done at other gatherings, but this is my first time to see it in play.

From their bookmark: The Right Relationship Team exists in response to historic instances of oppression (such as racism, sexism, classism, heterosexism/homophobia, and ableism) in large Unitarian Universalist gatherings. In addition to responding to particular events and problems, we work to create environment where oppression will not happen.

Self-disclosure: had I read about this beforehand, I must admit, I miiiight have thought "Oh no, a politically correct thought police!"

But I am impressed.

The team had their first presentation to the convocation yesterday. Yeah, there might have been some things that made one of my roommates whisper, "Whining ..." But there was also some really good stuff, good learning opportunities.

Here's an example, putting it in personal terms:

They pointed out that there is a need for providing clear paths and deliberate spaces left for those in wheelchairs/scooters.

Well, in my Global Sisters group, there is a woman, B, (who, incidentally, is so fascinating, I just want to sit and listen to her life experiences) in a scooter. Before she got to our meeting, the facilitator and I moved chairs to make a path, and made a gap in the circle of chairs. When she arrived, she just zipped up to the front and pulled in. How different from her experience the other day, as her entrance caused people to jump up awkwardly, move things around. Ugh, to feel that everytime you go anywhere, all eyes will be on you for that sort of thing.

I have been taught. I like learning. Right Relationship is a good thing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

They've been doing this at General Assembly for several years, particularly after events at Fort Worth that caused much consternation. And their reports are usually interesting, not too much whining. :-)