Thursday, July 29, 2004

Blame John Kerry -- I am outed to my mother

Well, high on John Kerry's speech at the Democratic convention, I was talking to my mother on the phone and wound up "outed" at a potential UU minister. As Jimmy Buffett sings, "...it's my own damn fault." Still can't keep my secrets from that woman.

She: ...so, why aren't you running for public office?
Me: Oh, I think there's other things planned for me.
She: Yes, you won't run for office, but you're raising three wonderful children.
Me: Errr...

Back and forth a few times, Me: I don't want to tell you, She: Whaaat? Whaaat? Me: You'll have to bite your tongue ...

So, I told her that I didn't want to hear a reaction, but that I was applying to grad school, going to answer the call to be a minister. In her defense, she didn't say anything negative; just said that she was glad I was going to grad school, anyway. Umm. Well, I skipped the explanation that where I'm applying is specifically seminary. Let her think I might graduate with a Master's in, um, English lit or something.

Oddly enough, she is, actually, a Unitarian. I think this may be an old-school Unitarian thing -- go to a Unitarian church for the children, but don't let them get bit with the bug so much that they actually want to BE a UU minister. Tee-hee.

No comments: