Saturday, December 11, 2010

Great Holiday Songs You May Not Know - Day 11

Il est Né le Divin Enfant

I had a French professor in college who taught me this traditional carol.  He was from France, and quite laid-back.  He would roll his eyes at conjugating and such, and declare that if the school really wanted us to learn French, they would simply let him take us all to Paris for 6 months, where he would make sure we weren't hanging out with any other americaines, and at the end of it, we'd be fluent.  He was a kick.

The song reflects the joy and celebration about the birth of the Christ child.  Combined with our belief that "Every night a child is born is a holy night," it bring to my mind a gorgeous picture -- Now is born a divine child!  Play the musette, play the tuneful oboe!

I couldn't resist putting in two versions.  One by the great Edith Piaf, and then I happened to find one -- and a fine one! -- by Siouxie and the Banshees.  C'est bon.


No comments: