Saturday, May 17, 2008

Walnut Butter

You guys are so lovely, and so supportive ... so I'm sharing this bit of ambrosia. Joy. Whatever.

If you even remotely like walnuts, make this immediately. It's one of those things that transcends the sum of its parts. And it's super easy, assuming you have a food processor.

My friend Teacher-Girl made this and delivered it to Castle Lizard while we were in the hospital. My sister-in-law, AdventureGirl, was the first one to try it. When we came home, one of the first things she said was ... in a hushed, reverent tone ... "You have GOT to try the walnut butter."

Eh. Whatever. I mean, I like walnuts okay. But a nut butter is a nut butter, right?

And then I tried a spoonful.

I went back into the living room, where AdventureGirl was playing with Little Warrior. "OH MY GOD."

She grinned a knowing grin. The smile of a woman who knows that another woman has been introduced to ecstacy. "Incredibly good, right?"

I was without creativity in my words. All I could do was utter again ... OH MY GOD.

It's the perfect balance. It's bitter and creamy and sweet and salty.

No exact measurements. You don't need them.

Walnuts. Some brown sugar. Bit of salt. Mild vegetable oil.

Blitz the walnuts with the brown sugar and salt. Add some vegetable oil. You don't want it as "wet" as normal (natural) peanut butter. As long as you thoroughly blitz it, it'll still be spreadable.

Keep it in the fridge. There's no preservatives in this baby.

Share with someone you love. Like a fabulous friend or in-law.

2 comments:

Lilylou said...

Oh, wow, I just tried it! Delicious! I think I'll use something besides olive oil next time, but it's wonderful! Thanks.

Lizard Eater said...

So glad you tried it, Ms. Kitty!