Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Just an update ...

... LW's fever never got above 100 and has been normal all day. I was able to go out today by myself and get some little posters laminated for her hospital room (ayiyiyi, ask the price first!) and do some grocery shopping.

If all goes well, then we'll go in Thursday for counts and office visit (meaning: meet with doctor, which we don't always do), then if counts are good, we'll be admitted to the hospital for about 6 days.

To say I'm apprehensive would be a laughable understatement. Even after talking to others who have done "Regimen I," I just don't know what it's going to be like for us. I know that when they give her Etoposide, they'll page all the doctors on the floor to let them know, and they'll have a crash cart in her room, in case she has a reaction. I know that because the cyclophosfamide is "hard on kidneys," they'll be flushing her with copious amounts of IV fluid, before, during, and after chemo. And by copious, it has been explained to me that this means flooding the diaper, flooding the waterproof pad, getting up every hour and a half ...

So ... I just don't know.

But with all that ... I am crossing fingers, toes and eyes that her counts will be fine and we can get a room and get this started already.

Bags are (mostly) packed. Still need the electric plug for my thermo electric cooler. (Mom doesn't get a food tray.) Picked up Geraldine Brook's March from the library. Ginormous bag of videos. Nuther bag of toys.

Ready ...

10 comments:

Lilylou said...

Thinking of you a lot these days.

March is GOOD! Betcha you'll like it.

ogre said...

You're in my thoughts.

Earthbound Spirit said...

(Mom doesn't get a food tray.)

Oh, someone needs to talk to the hospital about that one. When my Mom was in hospital there was a sign on the wall with instructions on how guests could order food trays. Cash only, not charged to the patient, but at least available.

Thinking about you & LW, holding you in the light...

Anonymous said...

eyes fingers toes crossed (and even a few gray hairs).

jbgrinch said...

I will be thinking of you over the next few days. May it all go as smooth as it can.

Christine Robinson said...

Well, I'd say that copious peeing is an easier side effect to deal with than nausea...

Tell 'em you'll gladly and lovingly change most of the diapers for the aides if they'll just bring you a food tray.

Sheesh...

But extra prayer for you all tomorrow! Thanks for keeping us posted.

RevCindi said...

sending prayer and energy.

Anonymous said...

hugs and prayers it won't be as bad as you think and the time will go quickly. our children's hospital has play areas and play leaders when the children feel well enough to play in some form. favorite videotapes/DVD's can be a god send in a case like this. one of my favorites is the cartoon Charlotte's Web if you can find it. My kids loved to sing the songs when they were little and the guy who plays the rat (Paul Lynd) is great. It will probably be harder on you watching her go thru it than on her. Take a few moments for yourself if you can.

Cinci mom

Masasa said...

Thanks for the update! And I agree with earthbound spirit that it would be good and right for you to have a food tray, however they can work it out.

Anonymous said...

Being a person that lived in Cancer World for 2.5 years of intense treatment, I think the cooler is a good thing. Hospital food is a bit scary. I am hoping that with the lack of posts since Tuesday the counts were able to free the way for the treatment. It is alway a double-edged sword. You want the treatment, you dread the treatment, you hate when the treatment does not start. You wonder if the delay will hurt. You know the treatment will hurt but then.......

It appears you have lots of good friends and support, that helps so so much. Cheers to them and to you.

Oh, I loved March but it is a bit intense. May I suggest something like Garlic and Saphires or Tender the Bone or the 64 Dollar Tomato. Not life changeing but very memorable. Send me an address and I will send you some books. E-Mail Quilting_goddess@yahoo.com