Saturday, August 16, 2008

Feeling Good

It is pouring down rain and my house is a mess, and we have to go in the hospital 2 days earlier than planned, but I am FEELING GOOD!

-- We go in the hospital Tuesday, rather than Thursday ... which means we should be back home Sunday evening, which means I will be here Monday, the First Day of School for the elder 3. I can fill their bentos and lay out their clothes and meet their teachers. And be home when they return to tell me all about their new teachers and who's in their classes and all that good stuff.

-- Dr. Karen posted an ABBA video that put a goofy smile on my face. Last weekend, my sister drove down and she, my mom, and I went to see Mamma Mia. Yes, this was my second time to see it. My name is Lizard Eater and I am a Silly Fun Addict. Even more fun than the movie: my 77 year old mother had so much fun; I burned her a copy of the soundtrack which she has apparently been playing every morning as she fixes her coffee.* Then I made her a copy of ABBA greatest hits, which she is also playing obsessively. My mother is Very Dignified, so to see her letting her hair down is quite enjoyable.
* "What is ABBA?" asked my father, very earnestly. I explained and he asked, confused, "Well, how did we miss it?"

-- Last night, my best girlfriends came over for the singalong that was for the purpose of breaking in my guitar and back deck. Cue "pouring rain." Well, LW's counts are up, so I banished the family upstairs (no punishment, they had a giant gameroom and delivery pizza) and we took over the living room. Much singing, much eating, much drinking, much gabbing. They even tolerated me playing a few originals and even sang along on the chorus of one. Hearing other people sing something you wrote is so cool.

-- School starts a week from Monday. And we go in the hospital Tuesday. And it's pouring rain. Am I running around like crazy, doing back to school shopping? NO! And not because I'm a total slacker mom (though I am). Last weekend, Aunt GlamourGirl flew down here and took each kid, one at a time, back to school shopping. Even Little Warrior. As befitting her name, Aunt GlamourGirl made sure that each child has a wardrobe better than any I've ever had in my entire life. I didn't have to do one bit of back to school shopping!

-- My dad told me he's proud of me. I'm 39. It shouldn't matter. But it does, and it touched me.

If you have someone whom you're particularly proud of ... tell them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad for this post. Been thinking of you. And your last two lines made me cry. So true.

Anonymous said...

P.S. I've rearranged my schedule so I can be home on Wednesday, when school starts for my three. I don't know why this is so important to me to be home on the first day, but it is.