Monday, September 18, 2006

On the last M.A.S.H. episode ... and cancer

'So, how are you and The Husband doing?' a friend asked.

Well.

I remember watching the last episode of MASH with my parents. I guess I was in high school. What I remember clearly is that as we watched the characters giving each other emotional goodbyes, my father -- a Korean war vet -- said, 'No, it wasn't like that.'

'We didn't believe them. We all assumed we'd be recalled and have to come back. When we left, we said, 'Yeah, see you in a month.' We didn't believe the war was over.'

So, that's where we are now. The truth is, we don't know if the war is over, or if this is just a vacation.

We try to find joy in every day. We hug and love each kid every day, and we watch Little Warrior with very fresh eyes, considering she's our fourth child. It is not often that we forget how precious each moment is.

And we pray we won't be recalled.

2 comments:

Kelli said...

That was very well-put LE...

Nancy said...

I just happened by your blog, and this post really touched my heart. Our son was born with a genetic disorder, and there are a lot of little battles we fight, some of which I didn't expect. Well said.