Tuesday, July 29, 2008

So many words in my head, none of them my own

But all words that I have taken into myself; they have become a part of me.

Where there is hate, let us bring love;
Where there is sorrow, joy.
Let us strive more to comfort than to be comforted,
To understand others than to be understood;
To love others than to be loved.


Come, come, whoever you are
Wanderer, worshipper, lover of leaving
Ours is no caravan of despair

There is more love, somewhere
I'm going to keep on, til I find it,
There is more love, somewhere

Spirit of Life
Come unto me
Sing in my heart
All the stirrings of compassion.

It will be natural, it will be normal, for us to respond with anger to this terrible event. As we read the newspaper, and learn that this act of violence was because he felt the world would be better with fewer of us in it ... as we read about the right-wing books found in his home ... as we read the comments left under news articles or on blogs that question our very right to call ourself a church, a religion ... the anger will be natural.

Feel it. Accept it. And come back to our heart. Come back to the love that we can -- that we must -- send out into the world.

Where there is hate, let us bring love.

1 comment:

Lilylou said...

Thank you, LE, for your wise words, whether they are original or part of the huge body of loving words that we as UUs claim as sacred text.

Your huge spirit has many demands on it right now and your courage in facing them gives me hope and courage too.