Sunday, July 27, 2008

Cradle for my guitar

Every 7th Day posted Tim's comment about the gunman carrying his weapon in a guitar case. It was somehow comforting to know that someone else reacted to that detail as I did.

Guitar cases are as common as hymnals in many Unitarian Universalist churches. Thinking of my own guitar, its own case, just gave me a visceral pain, thinking of someone using one to sneak in a gun. It is the cradle for my guitar, its protection. It is the handle so that I can carry my guitar with me ... to parties, to UU summer events, to church, and now, to the hospital. It is homely and it is also holy.

Walking into a UU church, whether its my own, or a church where I'm the speaker that Sunday, seeing a guitar case always gives me a lift. It's like spying the dessert table in a buffet. Anticipation. Something good is coming.

To now have to look at a guitar case with fear ... I can't stand it.

1 comment:

Kari said...

My guitar case has plastered all over it "War is not the answer" and "The most radical thing we can to is to introduce people to each other" and Pro-faith, Pro-family, Pro-choice. And one from the "Good Asian Drivers" from GA this year.

I cannot imagine it being a cradle for a weapon. Ever. I totally hear you.

How do we go on? I guess we just have to. I guess we just GET to.