Friday, June 27, 2008

Asking you for another favor

The Carolyn Pryce Conquer Childhood Cancer Act passed the House, unanimously. Now it's before the Senate. Here are the senators not supporting it.

Funding for childhood cancer research has been flat for 10 years. There have been no new cancer drugs approved for several years. Childhood cancer gets approximately 10% of the American Cancer Society's research monies.

What this means, in real life: Little Warrior has had a relapse of Wilms' Tumor. There is no approved protocol, and no new drugs, so the doctors say, Um, what do we do? Well, I guess we can try using the drugs that are used for another cancer. And that's exactly what's happening. Little Warrior is taking a regimen that has been accepted for Clear Cell Sarcoma.

If your senator is on the list for not supporting the act, please contact them. Please.

Related Link: Difference between childhood and adult cancer

5 comments:

Chalicechick said...

Both my senators are supporting it, but I will bug Linguist Friend to write the guy in Ohio.

CC

Anonymous said...

I am confused by that website -- they seem to be listing those who are not co-sponsoring the bill, not those who have said they would vote against it.

Perhaps it would be better to write to all of our Senators regardless of this list to ask for their vote on it, rather than a co-sponsorship?

AJay Piniewski said...

Hello Lizard,
i sadly receive google news alerts about childhood cancer, and just added blogs. So, thats how I got here. Why? Lost my 14 yr old son on Jan 5th this year.

thanks for writing about this. Check out mine and AJ's at
http://curechildhoodcancer.blogspot.com/
and
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/CureChildhoodCancer

AJs Dad

Lizard Eater said...

Hi, AJs Dad. I'm a fan of your work. I think we've communicated before, in "real life."

AJay Piniewski said...

hmmmmmm I am stumped? Real life? guide me thru I am thick....