Saturday, February 17, 2007

They say there are no atheists in foxholes ...

... but I find that the farther away I get from my "foxhole," the easier it is to believe in something besides this temporal world. The farther away I get, the farther away from my fear, it becomes possible to believe that there is a unifying spirit. That coincidences are not mere coincidences and that there is a rhythm in the universe.

What draws me up cold, however, is when a child dies from disease, specifically cancer. It offends my sense of right. If you die from disease, it should be after you've actually lived long enough for the world to have its effect on your body. For cancer to kill a child ... it just doesn't make any sense to me. It doesn't fit in with the rhythm. It is a jarring note, an error in the symphony.

If you do pray, and today is one of those days where I'm not sure it does anything, but if you do pray, please send up a prayer for the family of Mark. He was 9. He fought this disease for six years. 2/3 of his life. He had "the cancer to have if you have to have cancer."

No comments: