Thursday, September 23, 2004

On typing and learning

I'm a good typist. The one thing that slows me down from being a great typist is that I was out sick in high school on the days when they learned how to type numbers. I never got the practice for that, so it never became a natural part of my finger-mind connection.

So, 20 years later, I still have to look to make sure I'm typing the correct number.

I wonder how many other things are like that. You miss out on two days of information and it affects you the next 20 years ... or rest of your life.

Granted, if it were that important, I could have taught myself how to type numbers. But at some point I learned to 10-key, and with a computer keyboard, that usually works just fine.

A "work around" -- that's what we call it in the computer world, where rather than fixing something, you simply find a way to work around it; an alternate way to take care of it.

Hmm.

No comments: