Monday, December 04, 2006

My 10 year old son just asked me what is the "n-word"?

Wow.

WOW.

Okay, it's a small step, but we're living in the same place I grew up. A place where, when my sister's best friend was valedictorian of high school, they decided that that year, they would have 5 "Valedictorians." Nelda was African-American, you see.

Somehow, my son made it to 10 years old with no inkling about the word.

The question was prompted not by the recent news, but because he's reading a book about dealing with bullies, and one of the things it talks about is people using racist language.

So, he and I talked about the word, and why something so "silly-sounding" (to him) carries such power.

"I don't think people still think like that," he informed me.

Oh honey.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might want to fill him in on the 'C' word and the 'P' word while you are at it.

Kelli said...

I wish he was right.

iBeth said...

I love this story. I've been thinking about it and hoping that lots of kids have this same experience.