Monday, November 01, 2010

Good news

Little Warrior had scans today.  Big scans.  2 year scans.

And we got those three letters we hold so dear.  N.E.D.  No Evidence of Disease.

On one hand, this is not a huge deal.  It gives no promise against relapse.  But on the other hand, it's a pretty big deal.  2 years off-treatment is a milestone.  She doesn't have to go back for 6 months.  Since she was 7 months old and first diagnosed, this will be the longest stretch she has ever gone without seeing her oncologist, with two months to spare.

Back when she was an infant and we had never heard of Wilms' Tumor, I referred to her on this blog as The Wren.

LW:  Little Wren.  I think we'll transition to that, now. 

10 comments:

Amy said...

So, so glad. Thanks for sharing your good news. Holding you all in the light...

TK Kenyon said...

Yea! Congratulations!

slt said...

Wonderful! Many continued blessings, BU

Masasa said...

I am so glad to see those N.E.D. words here on your blog today.

plaidshoes said...

YAY!!! So happy for you all!

Brittany said...

What blessed news! And Little Wren...what a lovely and well deserved transition for your little warrior.

DairyStateDad said...

So glad to hear this news.

Sally A. Lanham said...

Boy, I on a whim visit this blog and check in on our progress. I sometimes think that "off" treatment is more frightening than on treatment. Sound like good things are happening.

Elizabeth said...

Hi. Just a note that I was thinking of you and your family today as I am writing a sermon on Lament - what to do when you can't do much - and I thought of so many of the posts that you wrote during the time your little sweetie was sick. So mostly, this is just to say hi and thank you again for sharing and that some of your thoughts have helped me with my sermon, but also I was just thinking how nice it would be to see a picture of Little Wren now that she is doing so much better, and your other three amazing little munchkins. I am amazed that you ever find time to post while studying and having children (!) but any time you have a chance to update, it would be great to see how everyone is doing. No pressure of course. Just a thought. With care, Elizabeth

Lizard Eater said...

Elizabeth -- will do!

Would love to read your sermon. I am taking a Psalms class this semester. A year and a half ago, when I learned about the Lament psalms, I had quite a few minutes of "where were you when I needed you???" How I wish I'd known about them when my heart was breaking. The ones that rage and rail at God -- you said you'd never leave me! But you have!

Of course, I had my friend M, who called me the night LW was diagnosed. "This SUCKS," she said, with as much pain and sympathy crammed into those two words as possible.

A psalm, of sorts.