Saturday, August 07, 2010

The Last Day

"You need to post about the last day," both Mama Lizard Eater and The Husband have told me.

God had a swag bag for me, some lovely parting gifts.  But I'll get to those in moment.

I woke up early, knowing it was the last time, knowing I needed to get up and get moving.  Brother and his wife were about to swing by, leaving earlier than we.  But for a few moments, I just stretched, and lay there, giving thanks for what had been for several years, our temporary home in the mountains.

I told Brother and Bitty goodbye, then proceeded to tell My Place goodbye, feeling a bit like Emily from Our Town.  Goodbye to the stone fireplace, and the giant wooden dining table.  Goodbye to the porch swing and the hummingbirds.  Goodbye to the special place by the river, underneath the cool dark trees, where the fairies danced.



Goodbye to the camp fire.













Goodbye to the deck over the river.















Goodbye to the cabin.









And goodbye to my river.


All packed up, we headed up up up the steep winding road for one last bit of fishing at the ponds.  Suddenly, The Husband stopped.  Another doe in the middle of the road.  She leisurely ambled across then stood there, waiting.  The Husband gently eased the car up.  She examined us.  She posed.  She told me, "All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well."


And then she was gone.

Once again touched by grace, we drove on.  Did a little fishing, and a lot of looking.  Not looking.  Gazing.


Mrs. Jemima Puddle Duck stopped by to say hello with a friend of hers.


They swam on, Bo Peep caught a fish to add to the pile, and it was time for us to swim on.  Down, down the mountain.
... climbed a mountain and I turned around
and I saw my reflection in the snow covered hills
'til the landslide brought it down
oh, mirror in the sky, what is love? 

Can the child within my heart rise above? 
Can I sail thru the changin' ocean tides? 
Can I handle the seasons of my life? I don't know..... 

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

What a magical place. I bet all the years of experiences and memories will keep the magic in your heart for quite a while.