Friday, February 27, 2009

At ICUUW

I'm here at ICUUW, and I've already hooked up with Dr. Karen Rayne, first my laptop to her iPhone ("Meet up by the chalice after this?"). Now, she's down with all the sexual lingo of the youth, so she would probably deny that we "hooked up" as it apparently means something different to the yoots of today than it means to this old mama.

I have to say, in this group, I would be laughed at for referring to myself as "old." We ain't minding the gap, Sisters. When an almost forty year old is one of the youngest, it's time to get concerned.

There are very good conversations happening ... open honesty. And very interesting people. There is a young woman in my Global Sisters group who is from Transylvania. She is a chaplain, one who got to study at Starr King.

Here's an interesting moment: another woman in the group is from Corpus Christi. A big concern in her community is the high incidence of birth defects, thought to be because of the oil refineries there. The chaplain from Transylvania has a similar concern; in her area it is a high incidence of miscarriages. No oil refineries there, they have no idea what is the cause.

Connections.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

My husband uses "hooked up" inappropriately too. But I can remember even in college, a "hook up" involved sexual contact, so I think it must just depend what circles you travel in....

I'm jealous you're at the conference---sounds cool!

Robin Edgar said...

Let's not forget the symbolism of the chalice in the lingo of the pagans. ;-)

"I have to say, in this group, I would be laughed at for referring to myself as "old." We ain't minding the gap, Sisters. When an almost forty year old is one of the youngest, it's time to get concerned."

It was time to get concerned about *that* gap a decade ago or more. U*Us are now paying the price for having failed to mind the gap and will likely be doing so for a few more decades unless Rev. Peter Morales can deliver on his election slogan about making U*Uism "the religion of our time" which I consider to be highly unlikely without major reform of the U*U religious community that reclaims its monotheistic roots.