Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Scan-xiety

I am suffering from scan-xiety, a condition well-understood by other cancer parents and patients. Little Warrior has been fighting a solid tumor cancer, and as such, there's no blood test to see if cancer has come back. You just gotta use your two little ole eyes, heavily supplemented with by a CT scan or MRI.

For LW, it's a CT scan that encompasses her kidneys, abdominal area, and lungs. Wilms' recurred in one of her kidneys. The other common place is mets to the lungs.

So, of course, today she is coughing and telling me that her sides hurt.

The cough at least has a runny nose attached to it, so I can somewhat reasonably put my hands over my ears and say, "Nah-nah-nah" to that worry. Which doesn't mean she's clean, but I have other things to worry about, namely ...

"My sides hurt!" she whines. I ask her where. She puts her two little hands over her kidneys.

It could be gas. I could be the neulasta is kicking in and bone pain from her ribs makes her think her sides are hurting.

Or.

Well, tomorrow is scans. Tomorrow morning, we'll get up, no food or drink, go to the med center, she'll drink 3 glasses of really nasty contrast, we'll go to the hem-onc floor for a blood test to see how her counts are, then we'll go have an echocardiogram to see if the doxorubicin has hurt her heart.

Luckily, I don't have to take an echocardiogram tomorrow.

6 comments:

Lilylou said...

Oh, LE, I hurt too, thinking of you and LW.

goodwolve said...

Let it be gas!

jbgrinch said...

you both are in my thoughts and prayer

Anonymous said...

praying for gas ...

Christine Robinson said...

You're all in my prayers today and tomorrow!

ejgejg said...

Thinking of you and LW and family, Elizabeth