Thursday, January 04, 2007

I Just Ordered My Purple Bracelet

I think I'm watching my church die.

It's heartbreaking and heartrending and I can't even get into it all here.

Moving on, in a not-completely-unrelated story:

"It was a pastor’s simple idea: Just stop complaining.

And to help his congregation remember, the Rev. Will Bowen gave each one a purple bracelet stamped with the word spirit.

The challenge was to go 21 days straight without mumbling a complaining word and no gossiping and criticizing either. If a person slipped, the bracelet was to be switched to the other wrist, and the 21-day time period started over.

But what began in July as a simple idea has become a national movement, a “complaint-free movement.” And Christ Church Unity in Kansas City is becoming known throughout the country as the complaint-free church."

I'm sure that I will be switching my bracelet back and forth many times a day. But at least I'll be trying.

“If you don't like something change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain." - Maya Angelou

Order a bracelet. (free)

3 comments:

Nancy said...

What an amazing concept! I like it a lot and could use that in my life.

You have sparked my interest in finding out how our UU congregation is doing in our community. They are at approximately 100 members right now but have had a low of 5 and a high of 140. They don't have a physical building of their own but rent space at a spiritual center here. I admire so many things about what UU stands for and the earth-centered traditions.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for passing on the "complaint free" idea.

If you want to talk about how you're feeling about your church, let me know...

PeaceBang said...

I'm so sorry to hear that. Thinking of you a lot lately, as in "If I'm this stupidly emotional about a CAT, what must it be like to be the mother to a very sick baby?"

I'm glad you're out there blogging. I wish your church was a place of beauty, strength, joy and support for you and that you could walk through its doors and feel a tremendous relief fall upon you, the grace of God's love.

But geebum, that happens so rarely. I think I will blog about this.
lots of love to you