Thursday, September 27, 2007

Ariadne is in the front garden

Every day, she gives us a new masterpiece.

She is Gasteracantha cancriformis. She makes huge spiral webs, going from our rose bush, to the roof, to the crape myrtle.

Every day, our first gift of the morning is to run outside, my son and I, to see what her web looks like today.

And just a few minutes ago -- excitement! -- I found a "sister" spinning her web on an azalea that's right by our dining room window. I was 1 foot away from her, watching her spin her web. She was on the 4th interior ring, carefully, but rapidly, going spoke to spoke, making the ring.

That, my friends, is a thrill. May you all be given such a gift.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just heard on NPR the other night about one of the Genius Grant award winners who is studying spider silk. I was just thinking about it this a.m. as I walked into my office through a web. She said to think of the spinnerette like a soda fountain: one spider can spin up to 7 different kinds of silk used for different purposes. (one for the frame of the web, one for the interior structure, one for eggs...) I was fascinated, for perhaps the first time, about spiders. Enjoy your morning visits!

Anonymous said...

Arachne?

Lizard Eater said...

No, Ariadne. Another of the weaving goddesses.

Anonymous said...

Ah, I hadn't thought of her that way. I hadn't a clew, as you might say.