Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Great Holiday Movies

I should be working on my term paper. "The Ethical Balance of Ministering to the Difficult Person." But here I am, writing about some of my favorite holiday shows.

I won't take the time to do cool links. You can google 'em in you're so inclined.

10. And you can't get this anymore, or at least not a decent version. It's Truman Capote's A Christmas Memory with Geraldine Page. The voiceover was done by Truman Capote himself, although they had to slow the tape -- his voice was so high, they felt it would be too distracting. It can even make you want fruitcake. The movie, not his voice.
9. Miracle on 34th Street ... and now, blasphemy: I actually prefer the modern version to the Natalie Wood version. Not that I don't like the classic, but the modern version has more character development, more fun. And even a hint of loving marital sex! Whoo-hoo!
8. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Because I'm twisted, that's why. Ohhhh say can you see ...
7. White Christmas. (romantic siiiiigh.) Because my two elder daughters will sing "Sisters" together. And The Boy dies laughing when Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye do "Sisters" in drag. And I love Snow ... (the song).
6. Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas. A beautiful muppet-style story with an understated ending.
5. The Year Without a Santa Claus. The original one, of course. "I'm Mr. Heat Miser ..."
4. The Polar Express. Beautiful story, beautiful movie.
3. Elf. Don't tell anyone, but I tear up at the end when everyone starts singing together and it creates Christmas Spirit that powers Santa's sleigh. Shhh.
2. It's a Wonderful Life. Because I'm a sap. And I am totally in love with the concept of realizing how freakin' wonderful your flippin' ordinary life is. (And I was even before LW got sick.)
1. A Christmas Story: there's two kinds of people in the world ... yeah, I know, but for the sake of argument, go with me ... those who choose It's a Wonderful Life for their #1 and those who choose A Christmas Story. I've been pretty clear about preferring reality to romantic, haven't I? So, of course, this is my favorite. OH FUDGE!

1 comment:

Earthbound Spirit said...

The Muppet Christmas Carol edged out It's a Wonderful Life for me a few years ago. Love the song about Scrooge, and the Ghost of Christmas Present - even if he does act like he's got both ADHD and Alzheimer's. Love Polar Express, too.