Tuesday, October 03, 2006

"I need an onion!!!" The Princess just hollered

We are decorating for Halloween and she just picked up a little Dracula figure. Her brother, 10, swiftly explains that it is garlic she needs, not onion.

All four are home today and we are making pumpkin-ade out of pumpkins, metaphorically. The two school-age ones showed up for breakfast yesterday morning with what looked like hives. Took them to the doctor where a quick swab of the throat (accompanied with much gagging) revealed that they have scarlet fever, which sounds scary to those raised on "Little Women," but thanks to antibiotics, is just another strep infection. They're on their meds and will be back at school tomorrow. Just sick enough to be contagious, not sick enough to feel bad. So, we decided we'd make today a holiday. We started the day with pumpkin-chocolate chip muffins, and are now decorating, listening to our Halloween party music and watching Halloween videos. Tame ones -- Winnie the Pooh and the Adventures of the Mutant Chain-saw Killer or something like that.

"More cow bell! I need more cow bell!!!"

Sorry. Don't Fear the Reaper just came on.

Happy October.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I just caught up on your blog today. Sitting here with tears in my eyes. I have been told my kid has the "syndrome you should have" if you have a genetic syndrome. Never mind he may never have a close friend in his lifetime, and I grieve a little bit every day through my smiles. It's cruel, and I grit my teeth when I hear that.

Your kids sound delightful, and your homemade holiday sounds WONDERFUL. Hope you enjoy the cozyness!